A 29 year old St. Catherines man is facing charges after 44 pounds of pot was found in the vehicle he was driving on Highway 400.
On Tuesday May 17th a Barrie OPP officer conducted a vehicle stop for a traffic infraction on Highway 400 near Ski Trails Rd. in Springwater Township. The officer determined that marijuana was present in the vehicle and subsequently seized 44 pounds of marijuana.
The driver Steven Gionet of St Catharines was charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking – over 3kg.
The accused will appear in Barrie court on Monday July 4th.
A Whitby man is headed to court after being charged with stunt driving and other offences.
On Saturday a member of the West Parry Sound Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) was conducting radar patrol on Highway 400 in McDougall Township. At 2:15 p.m. a north bound motor vehicle was seen travelling at a high rate of speed and as a result was stopped for Stunt Driving.
Police say a search of the vehicle also led to the seizure of cannabis marihuana.
The driver, 36 yr old Darrell Holmes, was arrested and charged with:
* Driving while disqualified – court order contrary to the Criminal Code (CC).
* Fail to comply with Probation Order contrary to the CC.
* Race a motor vehicle contrary to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
* Driving under suspension contrary to the HTA.
* Driving motor vehicle with open container of liquor contrary to the Liquor Licence Act (LLA).
The vehicle he was operating was eligible for a 45 day Criminal Code vehicle impoundment.
Holmes will appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Parry Sound on May 19th to answer to his charges.